Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ten Arguments for Moving New Year's Day

My wife says I'm contrary and grouchy.  I plead guilty, so allow me to share:


1.) First and foremost, we should find a better day for "The first of the year" because there's really no good reason to have it on January 1st.  Our calendar is based on a solar year, so why not start it on a significant solar event?  The obvious choices would be an equinox or solstice, but I'm sure there's plenty of other good solar events.  Our calendar, for the most part, has been thrust upon us by Julius Caesar and then later tweaked by Pope Gregory VIII.  I'm sure they had good reason to start with Jan. 1, but it makes no sense today.


2.) We're a bit to overloaded with holidays this time of year.  This reason may also eliminate the Winter Solstice as an option.  


3.) My history's a little shaky, and the events are a bit confusing,  but some time ago, in a land far away, January 1st was "The Feast of the Circumcision".  Celebrating an event most of us would rather not think about, that occurred eight days after the birth of Christ.  An important event that would affect millions of Christian males for centuries to come, but it doesn't really conjure up the desire for a feast in my book.  This was also the day that Jesus was named, so at a later date, the Catholics changed the "Feast of the Circumcision" to the more palatable "Feast of Christ's Name".


4.) Generally we think of Winter as being the season that is at the end of the line with Spring being the beginning.  March 20th would be a perfect start to our "New Year".  Granted this causes several serious calendar problems....could we just shift our calendar ahead 79 days so that January 1st falls on what is now March 20th?  Probably not practical...but it would be better.


5.)  We've gone to great lengths to make sure our calendar coincides with the solar year.  Since the solar year is approximately 365.2425 days, we've invented leap years and even leap seconds,(as needed when we wobble),  to compensate for the fact that our Earth doesn't behave according to the integers.  So then why do we decide the beginning of the year as at some arbitrary day that doesn't relate to the solar year any any way?  


6.) Our main New Year's Eve custom has somehow become drinking excess amounts of alcohol.  Don't get me wrong...I'm not opposed to people enjoying excessive spirits.... What else are we supposed to do on the darkest coldest nights of the year?  I like the idea of the new year being a time for new beginnings, a time to look back on our shortcomings of the previous year and readjust for a better coming year.  For me, starting things out with a massive hangover doesn't bode well for the remaining 364.2425 days.  I propose we all continue getting drunk and nursing our hangovers during the short, cold days of winter, then resolve to sober up on a beautiful spring day, late in March...with a clear sober mind.


7.)  On a slightly different, but related topic, I would also like to propose that we start each day at sunrise.  Instead of the beginning of the day being Midnight, each day would start at zero O'Clock at sunrise.  Instead of driving to work in the dark during the Winter, we would always wake up at zero O'Clock and be to work by 1:00 or 2:00 every day.  This would pose some nightmares to clock and watch makers, but I'd guess it would eliminate early morning car accidents caused by darkness, and I would also suppose, eliminate quite a few sleeping disorders.  On March 20th, we would wake up a little early, and enjoy a fresh, sober, sunrise start to our new year, and promise ourselves we wouldn't drink so much during the dark cold nights of the upcoming Winter.


8.) Having traditions and customs are an important part of any culture.  New Year's Eve and New Year's Day are probably the most universal traditions on our planet.  But...If we forget the reasons for the tradition (If there ever was a reason), then it's time to move on.  


9.) This is really an extension of #2 (above). By the time Christmas is over I am sooooo sick of looking at tables and counters full of cheese balls, cookies, snacks, fruit cakes, and sausages, that I can't quite stomach another fattening feast.  New Year's Eve is just more of the same with potato chips, beer, and champagne added in.  On March 20th, we'll celebrate with a nice springtime breakfast shortly after zero O'Clock.


10.) I'm a contrarian.  I like to go against the grain.  I want a nice refreshing change!


Happy New Year!

1 comment: